by DanikaRio on July 17, 2014
“Wow, that’s so daring.” was the comment I got from my dear boyfriend when I wore this extra striped number to last weekend’s Saturdate. I found his comment quite funny. Cause for me this seemed like a perfectly normal / basic / typical combo. I mean, isn’t it? It’s funny how to him stripes and stripes together is something extraordinary or radical. How interesting. But you know, I was ok with it. :) Couple minutes later, I realized I am allowed to– or I should– find this normal cause I create combos like this almost everyday for my job. Really a lot of mixing and matching and experimenting. Think I should be more afraid when even this starts looking too out there for me.
top: from Bangkok / bag (old), sunglasses, pants (coming soon): NAVA / sliders: CHARLES & KEITH
by DanikaRio on July 15, 2014
1. Kiera Knightley‘s granny trousers. Or no, wait. Actually, her whole wardrobe in Begin Again. Have you guys seen the movie yet? It’s a chick flick but I like that it wasn’t so cliche and corny cheezy. Plus every scene was accompanied by great music (hello Adam Levine!) so that’s a big fat point. Anyway, Kiera plays the role of a rad songwriter who has this simple but quirky sense of style. They made her work with somewhat retro silhouettes which made her outfit numbers noticeable. I think her character is cool. And overall, the movie is pretty good. It’s the relaxing type. I’d watch it again for the music and Kiera’s pants. Haha. (images from Google images)
2. Normcore situation on the cover of this month’s Preview Magazine. I’m a sucker for all things white. And this is no exception (even if the styling might seem too clean for my personal taste). This is just too classy. Georgina looks stunning as always and Celine Lopez... just effortless. Peg! And it’s not just the cover. The content is also brilliant guys! I mean #bestdressedissue. Also, the redesign really upped their game. I say great job, Preview! (image by me)
3. Neoprene goodness by Triangl Swimwear. It’s the perfect swimwear– super comfy material + excellent quality + chic design in one. I looooove it! Neoprene just brings bikinis up a whole new level. Actually been eyeing this for months! I’m so happy that I finally have it now. :) Thank you, Triangl Team for being so kind!! (images by me)
4. @AnnMarieMNL / AnnMarie.Co is among the most well-presented local online shops I know. And for designers like myself that’s a huge plus. Whenever we experience a brand for the first time, it’s usually the logo, typefaces, negative spaces, margins and illustrations that we nitpick. I know, it’s funny. But it’s true! AnnMarie is one of the good ones. And I think it’s because they really know who they are and what they want to communicate. They know the story of their brand and they know how to tell it to the world. They know a whole lot about editing and they’ve done it well. Thumbs up! (images via AnnMarie.co)
5. This denim crazy editorial. Messy but genius. So inspiring! Hmm… I wonder how denim on denim on denim would look on me… I’ve got to try this out. (images via Got Celeb)
by DanikaRio on July 12, 2014
A little bit more than a week ago, I posted this image on my social accounts cause I was looking for questions that would be relevant to publish on my “About” page which I was composing at that time. If you’re looking for the page… nope, it’s not up yet. It might take a little longer. But anyway, I received several questions from Instagram and gmail (thank you!) which I thought I’d publish and answer here for everyone’s benefit (just in case you had the same question in mind but was too hesitant to ask.) So here you go! Hope this helps! :)
“What are the essentials of a budding graphic designer?” Passion + faith + hardwork. I think it starts with passion (for Graphic Design) cause this is what will drive you to begin, to learn, to persevere, to be excellent and finish well. First, you must have genuine desire. And then, make the choice to commit. Be prepared to learn and keep on learning. Be teachable. Don’t get tired easily and think positive. If you fail, pull yourself back on track. Do better next time. Practice, practice, practice. Be observant. Watch others grow and grow with them. Have faith in God. He blessed you with such talent so you can use it to glorify and be excellent for Him. Have faith in yourself. You know God made you capable for a reason. Chin up, aim high. You will get there. :)
“”What are your top 3 lipstick brand/s shades?” 1. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Matte Lipstick in RED (MRD 165) / 2. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Matte Lipstick in BROWN (MBG 944) / 3. Lush Handmade Organic Tint (Bubbly Laugh Out Loud)
“What camera do you use?” I use a Canon 600D with 18-200mm 3.5-6.3 lens. Colors, contrast and sharpness of photos are enhanced with the help of Adobe Photoshop.
“What’s your philosophy (in fashion and design and in everyday living)?” (on fashion) Always style, not fashion. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~Coco Chanel / (on design) Go beyond beautiful. Make it work. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” ~Steve Jobs / (on life) I am by God and for God. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:31
“What is your ultimate source of inspiration (in graphic and fashion design)? I get inspiration from everywhere! But mostly I get inspired when I travel, when I look at the sites / blogs of the designers / bloggers I admire, when I read design books and fashion magazines, when I watch old films, when I see the Olsen Twins. Hehe.
“What art materials do you use?” Not much actually… Most of the time I only use Unipin pens (0.4 and 0.8), black Sharpie markers, old sketchpads I have lying around, a brush pen (gifted by my boyfriend from Singapore). Occassionally, I work with acrylics and random scrappy things (if you consider those “art materials”) Most people don’t know that I like making weird collage-type works out of found objects.
“What is your daily routine (from waking up til’ you retreat for the night)? Hmmm… So I wake up, have breakfast with my family, spend around 30 mins in the bathroom (shower, brush my teeth, lalalala…), go down to my humble “office” (yes, I do work from home) and start my day by listing all my to-do’s. During work hours, I research and design clothes for our RTW brands, NAVA and CLASSIFIED. I also organize and assign the designs that go to production. Most days I also go to the malls where our boutiques are to check the stocks in-store and to change the clothes on our mannequins. Then I spend hours stuck in heavy traffic. Sometimes, in between, I do some blogging and check and answer emails. At night, when I am not out with my boyfriend or friends, I spend “me time”. I either watch a good movie or series (right now I’m in the middle of season 9 of Friends. Don’t laugh! I know. I’m retro.) or I go through my favorite sites and blogs to get inspired. Then just before going to bed, I try my best to spend quiet time with God. Just a few minutes to read the Bible, pray and thank God for life, love and His blessings.
Do you plan to hold graphic design workshops? Yes! It’s definitely one of my dream projects. I really want to be able to share the things I know in the future. :) Hopefully by next year! But yaaay! At least now I know there’s one person interested! Hehe. :)
Where do you get your typography inspiration from? I get a lot of type inspo from Pinterest (just put “handlettering” or “handmade type” on the search box), from the design books I own, and quite a number from Instagram as well. I love @typographyinspired and @jasminedowling. You can also follow @thefozzybook and @inkscribbler for super cool calligraphy inspo. :)
Thanks for all the questions guys! Had fun answering them! If you have other style / design / work / life / random queries, feel free to comment below or drop me a line at [email protected]. :)